COOLANOWLE SLOW COOKED LAMB SHOULDER
SERVES: 4-5 PEOPLE COOK TIME: 5 HOURS
1. Make the marinade by blitzing the ingredients together until smooth.
2. Place the lamb shoulder in a deep roasting dish and make several incisions in the top of the meat. Rub the marinade into the meat. Completely coat the shoulder with the marinade and cover the dish with cling film. Allow to rest for at least 3hours but it is advised to leave the meat in the fridge overnight for the best results.
3. Remove the meat from the fridge and allow it to reach room temperature before cooking. Preheat the oven to FAN 200◦C/ Gas mark 3/ electric 160◦C.
4. Slice the onions each into three thick disks and place at the base of a roasting tin. Slice the carrots into thick strips and place these with the onions. Peel the potatoes and quarter them, adding them to the roasting tray also. Lay the shoulder on top of these vegetables. This will prevent the bottom of the meat from burning while it is in the oven for a long period of time.
5. Cover the roasting tin with tinfoil and place it into the oven, allowing the meat to roast for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 150◦C and roast for another 4 hours.
6. Remove from the oven and allow the meat to rest for 15-30 mins. This will help to stop the juices leaking from the meat when it is cut.
7. Serve with the delicious Ballymaloe Mint Jelly available in the foodhall.
COOLANOWLE CHEESY GARLIC POTATOES
SERVES: 5 PEOPLE COOK TIME: 50-60 MINS
1. Preheat the oven to 200◦C.
2. Peel the potatoes and slice them into 2mm thin rounds.
3. Chop the garlic finely and add it into a jug with the cream.
4. Take a square oven proof dish and cover the base of it with a layer of the potato disks.
5. Season this layer of potatoes with salt and pepper and cover with another layer of potatoes. Repeat this process until all the potato is used up.
6. Pour the cream and garlic mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top layer of potato.
7. Place on the top shelf of the oven and cook for 50-60 mins.
COOLANOWLE HONEY ROASTED VEGETABLES
SERVES: 5 PEOPLE COOK TIME: 45-50 MINS
- Preheat the oven to 200◦C or gas mark 5.
- Peel the carrots and parsnips and chop into chunky chip sizes. Peel the red onions and quarter them. Roughly chop the garlic.
- Arrange the vegetables on a flat baking tray. Drizzle the honey and olive oil across the vegetables. Toss them around until they are fully coated.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Place the tray in the oven and cook for 45 mins to 1hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- Toss the vegetables every 20minutes to ensure even roasting.