Coolanowle Moroccan Style Minced Lamb with Couscous
For the mince
For the couscous
1. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan at a medium temperature. Add the chopped onion and garlic and fry until the onions soften slightly.
2. Next add the minced lamb and cook until the meat is completely brown and there are no visible pink bits left. Stir in the cinnamon, cumin and turmeric until the meat is completely coated.
3. Dice the bell pepper and add it to the meat.
4. Stir in the stock and bring the liquid to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow it to cook for 15-20 mins. This should allow the liquid to evaporate off, leaving you with moist, juicy, flavour filled mince.
5. To make the couscous: pour the raw couscous into a bowl. Add 450mls of boiling water, cover and leave until all the liquid has been absorbed by the couscous. Make a hole in the centre of the couscous, place the butter in the hole and cover with the couscous until the butter has melted. Using a fork mix through the lemon zest and the mint. Mix through the cashews for an added crunch. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve the couscous on a plate and pile the mince on top. Garnish with some fresh mint and enjoy!