COOLANOWLE LEMON & RASPBERRY MERINGUE PIE
SERVES: 6 PEOPLE COOK TIME: 45 MINS
- Preheat the oven to 200◦C Fan/ Gas mark 6. Grease a 20cm flan dish.
- To make the pastry: Sieve the flour and sugar together. Rub the butter into the flour and sugar using your fingers until they resemble breadcrumbs. Lightly beat the eggs and water together with a fork. Add to the flour and butter and bring together until it’s combined into a soft dough. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and place into the flan tin completely covering the inside of the dish. Prick the base with a fork. Then fill with either baking beans or well crumpled tin foil. *** Don’t stretch or pull the pastry to avoid your base shrinking in the oven***.
- Bake in the oven for 15mins, remove the beans or tin foil and cook for another 5mins until set.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150◦C/ gas mark 2.
- To take the filling: Place the sugar and cornflour in a saucepan over a high heat. Gradually whisk in the water. Add the lemon zest and bring the liquid to the boil. Boil until it becomes thick and clear. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Whisk in the egg yolks and pour the mix into the flan case. Sprinkle with the halved raspberries. Leave to rest.
- To make the meringue: Beat the egg whites and salt in a bowl until thick and stiff. Beat in the sugar until the eggs become glossy. Using a spatula, scoop the meringue on top of the filling making piques to decorate. Sprinkle lightly with sugar. Place into the oven and cook for 25mins until the meringue is golden brown.